Management Services Corporation (MSC), a large property management firm in Central Virginia, and member of The Caton Companies, is seeking an Accountant who has a key role at MSC in supporting the construction companies.
QR Code Link to This Post
Please go to our website: www.catoncompanies.com and click on the Careers tab to apply!
The Accountant position is responsible for performing accounting functions in the maintenance and review of job cost records. The position requires considerable knowledge of basic accounting principles and accounting functions. Additional responsibilities include performing monthly closings, maintenance of accounting files, and preparation/organization of various financial forms, reports, and financial analyses. This individual may be asked to assist with ad-hoc projects and general office support tasks when necessary. These responsibilities and tasks will be coordinated with and supervised by the Controller.
1. Handle and process aspects of construction payables, including coding, processing pay application work sheets, and maintenance of job cost reports.
2. Review and reconcile job cost reports and related accounts, ensuring consistent and proper coding.
3. Develop systems for the maintenance of job cost reports, making use of current technologies.
4. Produce and/or review weekly, monthly job cost reports for operations.
5. Collect cost information to determine fixed costs, plan and record variable costs, and review actual costs for inaccuracies.
6. Analyze and report on profit margins, and Identify and recommend cost-effective solutions.
7. Assist and backup budget process, monthly projections and forecasts of job costs.
8. Guide other departments by researching and interpreting accounting policy; applying observations and recommendations to operational issues.
9. Maintain financial security by establishing internal controls within the job cost environment.
The Cost Accountant has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but does serve as a coach and mentor for others in the accounting department.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and typical work hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
No travel is expected for this position. Occasional need to utilize personal transportation to make (reimbursed) trips to bank, post office and also to visit satellite offices.
Required Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting or equivalent number of years of experience
· Five years of accounting experience
Preferred Education and Experience
· CPA designation, Sage, Office Connector or HCSS software experience
Employment is conditional on satisfactorily completing all pre-employment requirements. Starting wages depend skills and experience. The Caton Companies offer vacation, 401(k) retirement plans, excellent medical/dental coverage, as well as other benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer